[luau] MDK 9 & NVIDIA driver installation woes

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sun Oct 27 21:56:00 PST 2002

The makedev script should be an automatic part of the compile process.
You could try using mknod with the following major/minor.  I gotta
sleep, so no specific help until I'm less busy (maybe not this week).

eric at user-112ujnr ~ $ ll /dev/nv*
crw-------    1 eric     root     195,   0 Dec 31  1969 /dev/nvidia0
crw-------    1 eric     root     195, 255 Dec 31  1969 /dev/nvidiactl

This is with devfs installed, so the unused ones don't show up.  Oh,
that might be the problem with the sript you found.  Mandrake is the
only distro I know of that uses devfs.  Devfs hides devs you don't
need.  The script probably assumes they should be there.  I bet if you
unmount your devfs (I'm not sure of the repercussions of doing this),
you'll have the nvidia1 and others sitting there.  Those are just for if
you have multiple GF cards in your system (and possibly if you have an
onboard GF chip like me, then add an AGP GF).  I don't think that's the
problem here.  It seems that you're loading the driver correctly, its
just hardlocking, which seems to indicate that the driver doesn't
support your hardware.

-Eric Hattemer