[luau] MDK 9 & NVIDIA driver installation woes

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sun Oct 27 21:35:01 PST 2002

I'm not sure anymore.  My log file has twice as many out of range
warnings as yours and it works beautifully.  So don't worry about
those.  You might read some documentation on framebuffer kernel
parameters to try to get the fb driver working.  I don't quite remember
where that 791 came from.  It either came from some weird support page
or mandrake set it up automatically.  I believe 791 means special SVGA.
Its somewhat of a generic driver, and I've seen it used on certain
laptops if I recall.   There are other numbers you can try.  Try reading
through /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/* especially vesafb.  You can
try 318 for instance.  I never got the framebuffer drivers working in
redhat, so I finally just installed mandrake and it worked.  So this fb
solution might be a serious undertaking.

If your card doesn't support mode 791, this makes me kind of wonder what
nvidia is doing.  People get really upset about their closed source
drivers in the first place, but having cards that don't respond to
industry standards seems worse.  No matter what you send at a graphics
card, it shouldn't lock up the entire system.  I've gotten hardlocks
from this nforce chip too, but just from the generic X driver, not the
nvidia one or the framebuffer.  Does your card work in windows?  You
might read through nvidia's site and their driver readme files and
whatever to see if your particular card is even supported by the
package.

-Eric Hattemer