[luau] MDK 9 & NVIDIA driver installation woes

James A. Stroble stroble at hawaii.edu
Sun Oct 27 10:54:00 PST 2002

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 08:31, Rodney Kanno wrote:
> I have been trying for a fw weeks now to install the NVIDIA drivers on my
> machine with MDK 9 without any success whatsoever. Hopefully someone else
> has run into the same problem that I have and resolved it somehow.
<snip>

> in XF86Config-4, removed Load "dri" & Load "GLcore"
> in Section module made sure Load "glx" was present
>
> in /etc/security/console.perms, removed lines with <dri>
>
> I did a depmod -a
>     ldconfig
>     modprobe NVdriver
>     lsmod (NVdriver showed up here)
>
> Rebooted and tried to "startx", the screen flickered and I got a screen full
> of garbage, and computer froze. Typing "X" from the command prompt yields
> the same result. To see my screen full of garbage, go here:
> http://rkanno.biz/temp/garbage.jpg. I have tried re-installing MDK 9 and I
> get the same results. With RH 8, I also get the same results.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Rodney

Rodney, IIRC, you must also edit you XF86Config-4 to specify the new
NVdriver, instead of the default nv one. Should be in the Graphics
device section, under section "Device". Hope it works, and would be
interested if it does, since I may attempt the same thing soon.

--
*  James (Andy) Stroble