[luau] MDK 9 & NVIDIA driver installation woes

Rodney Kanno pepe65 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Oct 27 08:32:00 PST 2002

I have been trying for a fw weeks now to install the NVIDIA drivers on my
machine with MDK 9 without any success whatsoever. Hopefully someone else
has run into the same problem that I have and resolved it somehow.

Machine Specs: (don't know if this is critical or not)
2 AMD MP 2100 cpu's
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW motherboard (integrated sound & NIC)
Albatron Geforce4 TI4200

I read the NVIDIA readme as well as newsgroups, here is what I did for my
NVIDIA driver installation:

downloaded NVIDIA_GLX...tar
downloaded NVIDIA_kernel...tar
cd NVIDIA_kernel...
make install
cd NVIDIA_GLX...
make install

in /etc/modules.conf, checked to make sure alias /dev/nvidia* NVdriver
existed.

in XF86Config-4, removed Load "dri" & Load "GLcore"
in Section module made sure Load "glx" was present

in /etc/security/console.perms, removed lines with <dri>

I did a depmod -a
    ldconfig
    modprobe NVdriver
    lsmod (NVdriver showed up here)

Rebooted and tried to "startx", the screen flickered and I got a screen full
of garbage, and computer froze. Typing "X" from the command prompt yields
the same result. To see my screen full of garbage, go here:
http://rkanno.biz/temp/garbage.jpg. I have tried re-installing MDK 9 and I
get the same results. With RH 8, I also get the same results.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rodney

---