[luau] SPRINT Novatel Merlin C201 CDMA card running under lInux...has extra port??? plus bonus 802.11 USB PITA USB on same notebook.

tongaloa tongaloa at atl.org
Thu Oct 24 04:47:00 PDT 2002

Thanks for your comments.

I am using the card.
I get 140kbit/sec ftp transfers with no problem.
I was curious about the other port 3E8 that showed up.
Well, it turns out there is a 'bug' in the serial driver that
has something to do with the 16C950/950 and the
memory port on PCMCIA cards that use a 16C950/954.
The latest serial_cs moduile is supposed to have it fixed.
Will eventually mess with it, but knowing nothing here
that matters is broken shoves it to the bottom of the stack.

HTTP is another story and I'd appreciate hearing
from anyone who is familiar with tuning TCP
parameters for use over CDMA2000 1xRTT.
Why? I'll get part way through loading a web page and
bam, I'm waiting to hear from the server and nothing.
These TCP details like SACK, DSACK, and all the
lifetimes, memory max/min, and window sizes
is going to be a lot to wade through without some hints..
To generalize, I've a noisy connection, mostly long routes,
nominal 100kbit/sec bandwidth, no collisions.
How to tune TCP for this? (What parameters matter).

Lastly, if anyone knows enough about RLP (radio link protocol)
and the details of these Merlin C201 cards  to tell me how to
watch what is going on at this 'next level' I'll appreciate hearing.
This just to satisfy curiousity. It works well, as evidenced
by large ftp transfers with no proiblems, even through
cell handoffs.

Thanks.
Bob