[luau] nfs and samba

T. David Burns burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 23 23:46:01 PDT 2002

At 08:20 PM 10/23/2002 -1000, you wrote:
>On the *nix side, you can use /etc/fstab to
>automagically mount samba shares upon boot (I think there was a post with
>syntax tips re: this a few weeks ago)

!? I feel clueless now! I thought I could only mount cifs shares on unix
using a utility like Sharity. I should check again. Not all the unix boxes
that use this setup are linux boxes, the clients are SGs using IRIX. Maybe
it was the irix man page for mount that gave me the idea that I could not
mount cifs, or maybe the mere existence of sharity as something people
actually pay for. Yeah, I think smbmount hasn't been ported to irix, just
the lamo pseudo-ftp interface, I forget the name. My users complain about
gui ftp stuff, if I tried to get them to use a line-oriented ftp thing
there'd be rebellion. If I can mount the cifs shares, that's definitely the
way to go.

Daffled Dave