[luau] Linux newbie seeks easy transition

T. David Burns burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 23 23:35:01 PDT 2002

At 08:12 PM 10/23/2002 -1000, Ho'ala Greevy wrote:

> > Well, the NAT is easy.  MonMotha on the list here has a famous script
> > that makes that quite simple.

And there is a great quick install guide on the MPLUG wiki
<http://www.mplug.org/phpwiki/index.php/BasicFirewallRouter> that gives
instructions for setting MonMotha's script up on some old hardware as a
dedicated firewall.  Though I suppose it need not be dedicated, you need to
do something with that old win98 box after you're through with it, right? I
think this wiki page is the best thing for a firewall beginner on the web -
I was looking for something comparable, they all want to make you into an
expert before you get to do anything.

As for other transition ideas, does anyone have an opinion on vmware or
wine as mechanisms to wean us from our sad assimilated state? I haven't
gotten around to actually trying them.

Desultory Dave