[luau] Linux newbie seeks easy transition

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Wed Oct 23 23:10:01 PDT 2002

As for the financial stuff, look at gnucash.  That's the one I hear
about.  For the Nat, you need two ethernet cards in the linux machine,
and MonMotha's script, and the linux machine will do NAT quickly and in
the background.  It works quite nicely, and you really won't notice the
NAT is happening when sitting on the linux box.  So total hardware cost
is:

1 windows ethernet card
1 daughter's ethernet card
2 linux ethernet cards
1 3+ port hub
DSL service/setup
1 regular printer

If you already have some of this hardware, then you can subtract that
out.  For a home network, any cheap $20 network card will work.  They
don't work so well on MAC-monitored switched networks, as I found out,
though.

Refer to http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php
I believe there are complete instructions in there.  Basically its 3
steps if I recall:

1.  Put two ethernet cards into the linux machine.  Keep careful track
of which one is DSL and which one is LAN (hub).  Two different brands
can help with this if that's a simple solution (otherwise you need to
probably do a bit of trial and error to figure out which card is eth0
and which is eth1).

2.  Modify a couple of small lines in the script to set which ethernet
card is local and which is the DSL, and any applicable firewalling
chaneges.

3.  start the script and put it in /etc/init.d.  Run some command like
chkconfig with certain flags that I don't know offhand.

(4.).  Connect all the windows machines to the hub and set them for
auto/dhcp.  You should be set.

-Eric Hattemer