[luau] Linux newbie seeks easy transition

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed Oct 23 23:00:00 PDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 22:43, Karen Lofstrom wrote:
> > Well, the NAT is easy.  MonMotha on the list here has a famous script
> > that makes that quite simple.
>
> I buy the NAT, or the Linux box can act as one?

Yes, it is very commonly used for that purpose.  Linux Netfilter
firewall capability is very advanced.  It can do the same or better job
as many of the most expensive commercial firewalls out there, if you can
figure out how to configure it.

Simpler configurations like NAT are a snap with this:
http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php

Or a GUI tool like this:
http://www.simonzone.com/software/guarddog/#screenshots

Or a firewall on CD distribution (dedicated box only):
http://www.smoothwall.org/

There are thousands of other examples like these links.

I wrote this guide a while back in using MonMotha's iptables script to
create a simple NAT/firewall box.
http://www.mplug.org/phpwiki/index.php/BasicFirewallRouter

More coming tomorrow...
Warren Togami