[luau] dummy vim question

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Oct 23 10:21:01 PDT 2002

>sometimes I like using the line numbering feature in vi, but hate the way
>it's implemented in vim. Do you know if the minimal package you speak of
>implements line numbering in the standard vi way?

Well, I've really only used vim, but I just tried vi on a SunOS box
(uhunix2)
and line numbering seems to behave the same way.  You are referring to
:set number
yes?

Vim does have a vi-compatibility mode that is on by default unless you have
a ~/.vimrc file.  you can force it on by

:set cp

But since I don't recognize any difference in behavior I can't tell you if
that makes a difference or not.

I guess the best way to find out if /bin/vi does what you want or not is to
just try it.

--Ray