[luau] Any Open Source Programmers?

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Sat Oct 19 16:12:00 PDT 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Don Brown wrote:
>I'm curious how many other people on this list are open source
>developers, particularly those living on O'ahu.  I do mostly Java
>development and am involved in the following projects:

I'm sure there are people like you who contribute to open source/free
software in one way or another.  It is difficult to contribute to very
large projects like Apache, XFree86, GCC, etc., because it takes a lot of
time.  You really have to work full time to be able to contribute in any
useful way.  I contribute to some projects.  But only minor enhancements
and bug fixes.  Of course, I have a full time job.  Perhaps students who
have more free time to learn the software can contribute in a more
significant way.

There is also another problem.  Since there are few local software
developers, it is hard to find enough people with the _same_ interests to
organize a group.  I knew people from work who contribute to free
software.  But we have different interests, so we never hooked up.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org