[luau] List Policy

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Oct 17 19:07:00 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 18:50, Dustin Cross wrote:
> Warren,
>
> This was supposed to say "it SHOULDN'T be considered a problem".
>
> I use postfix and squirrelmail for everything.  I have tried some of the
> spam filters and they get a little more than half of it, but they also get
> mail that isn't SPAM some times, so I just deal with it and delete!  For a
> little while I tried sending them all responses saying never to send me
> mail again, but that took too much work.

Personally I have run into perhaps 4 false positives with 15,000 SPAM
messages caught.  Over time I learned more about how SpamAssassin works
and adjusted my spam settings to a high spam threshold, meaning the
likelihood of false positives is far lower but some spam does make it
through the filter.  However, when I added Vipul's Razor version 2 to
SpamAssassin's checks, that eliminated almost all of these spam leaks
too.

SpamAssassin makes use of pattern matching, open relay blacklists and
Vipul's Razor in calculating the likelihood of a message being spam or
not.  While pattern matching is subject to occasional errors, blacklists
and Vipul's Razor should NEVER have a false positive, you may consider
using those two instead.

I personally trust that a combination of the three works very well after
configuration.  I have something like 99.99% effective spam filtering
now, with no false positives for several weeks.  (I read through my
entire SPAM folder periodically, just to make sure.)

Warren