[luau] List Policy

Todd Lee todd at LANtech-HI.com
Thu Oct 17 17:25:01 PDT 2002

I don't feel it's insulting, people post to the list all the time whether
being newbies or not asking for help, (I'm one of them!) offering nothing in
return (I would try to help if I could but I feel that my "help" would cause
more problems than solutions which is why I signed up to learn!).  But he's
offering compensation for their time since he doesn't want to learn Linux
and has a Dentist practice to run instead.  But isn't this what we want as
whole, more people using open source?  I feel that if the group can pitch
Open Source to businesses as a viable alternative, it wouldn't make sense to
discourage them from asking for help here.  I understand that this is a
"user" group but what about the idea of the Back Office Linux Server?  Isn't
that so that people can switch to Open Source without having to notice the
effects on their desktops?  I know it would be nice to get everyone to be a
competent desktop Linux user, but if you can get more people using it behind
the scenes even if they don't learn it, isn't that at least one victory for
Open Source?  From that point, if they know that their servers run Linux
even if they don't use it themselves, and that they realize that they are
saving money on proprietary licenses and that it works and works well,
wouldn't they be more likely to look at Linux as a viable alternative for
their everyday use?  Especially when they have to upgrade and look at the
cost of "closed" software?

Just my .02,
-Todd