[luau] Policy Discussion

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Oct 17 11:02:00 PDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 09:51, R. Scott Belford wrote:
> On Thursday 17 October 2002 09:34 am, Neal & Gay Timon wrote:
>

> > I was also considering asking about hiring someone to help me (you students
> > must still be hungry and need money).  That isn't my idea of spam, but it
> > may not be something you want on this group.  Perhaps you would rather just
> > reply that this group discourages that sort of request and suggest an
> > alternative.
>
> As a community very anxious to see newcomers like your self appreciate the
> joys and challenges of running linux, I must say that we are in desperate
> need of  list policy clarification.  I am certain that this will be done in
> the next few days.  I am personally drafting our often talked about never
> completed list policy that I hope many will chew on and improve.

I was wrong to be too harsh toward Edward, and now after reading this I
realize that perhaps asking for help, and maybe even headhunting (a
bigger and less shameful version) is not so bad after all.

Would everyone agree for the list policy that asking for someone to do a
job is okay?

In the case of Edward's request, it was completely off-topic.  Should
requests be restricted to on-topic things that are remotely related to
Linux/Unix/Programming/Networking/Security types of things that we
normally discuss here?  Where should we draw the line?

This may be a more difficult gray area because what if he had asked "3D
modeling in Linux"...

Comments please.