[LinuxBusinessHawaii] Re: [luau] OpenSourceAdvocates

hattenator at imapmail.org hattenator at imapmail.org
Sun Oct 13 11:29:00 PDT 2002

I agree with Warren 100% on this one.  It is silly to say that open
source would be competing on its own merits if you force everyone to use
it.  That's a dictatorship of sorts.  Its like saying Sadam Housein is a
great leader because he is *the* leader of Iraq.  Open source may at that
point compete against other open source products, but it is possible that
there are some products that need corporate sponsorship in order to
develop.  Banning the competition does not make you the most qualified
candidate.  I'm sure you could argue that if the legislation did in fact
pass, it would be because open source were already proven to be superior.
 But without properly qualifying and argument like that, the legislation
would simply be forcing the govt. to use a particular solution, not
necessarily the best.  Ask yourself if the government was mandated to use
IIS, would that be because IIS was a strong competetor on its own merit?

-Eric Hattemer

  hattenator at imapmail.org

--
http://fastmail.fm/ - IMAP accessible web-mail