[luau] vnc for UNIX/Linux?

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Thu Oct 10 16:57:00 PDT 2002

I don't strictly recall, but I'm almost sure you can configure vnc to
use any window manager and start up any programs you want
automatically.  VNC at school runs CDE.  But using ssh and X forwarding
works well.  Such a client that works on windows, (but barely on mac) is
mindterm.  Another one is puTTY.  The problem is getting X in windows.
There's 3 solutions I know of.  One is Xwin-32 from starnet, which is
like $300.  Then there's another one whose name I don't remember.  I
think that one might be free.  The final choice, although not as pretty
is X in cygwin.  I've used it.  It works fine.  But its not too great.
If you use these, you can pop up any particular app, or a window manager
if you like.  The only issue with popping up gui elements from the
command line is figuring out their names.  Something called "printers"
in the kde menu might be called lpd-conf-gui on the command line, for
instance.  Anyway, VNC is pretty cool for going from linux to windows,
but to connect to unix, its usually best to use X.  If you have winXP,
there are some linux projects working on remote desktop viewing in
linux, but I don't know the status of that.

-Eric Hattemer