[luau] Help Needed with Comp USA

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Thu Oct 3 08:11:00 PDT 2002

tongaloa wrote:

> Al-
>
> I suggest you forget working bottom up and send a polite
> factual email to the corporate offices. I've found this most productive
> when dealing with problems larger companies. Include a copy of your
> receipt.
>
> I've an interesting exchange going with Fujitsu right now. It seems they
> do not sell a computer. Instead, it's a 'windows system'.
> Tech support says, "I'm not allowed to talk about Linux".
>
> -Bob
>
> al plant wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >Can  somebody with Comp USA who is on this list perhaps give me a little
> >more help than the RUDE group I had to deal with at Waikele Today. I got
> >the classic shuffel from three people. Customer Service still does not
> >exist at that location. I sincerely hope that location is not where we
> >are going to hold the demonstrations. They don't even know Linix and
> >Unix exist out there.
> >
> >I purchased a Smart and Friendly CDRom Burner and a three year warranty.
> >(The manufacturer isnt in business any longer). A 1 year  manufacturers
> >and a 2 year Comp USA warranty for a special price purchased on sale
> >that day. I have a copy of the sales slip.
> >
> >When I took the CDRom back because it has never worked under Win 98 or
> >Unix/Linux. The burner is Scsi and is detected and the drivers load etc.
> >under all three O/S, but the door won't open and a test cd will not be
> >found. Any way Comp USA won't honor the Warranty nor will they check it
> >over. I was going to buy another Burner if they would check it out and
> >tell me that it was broken. (It is in the original box and has never
> >been used.) They wanted $49.00 to look at it so I said no deal.
> >
> >The person I bought it from has of course left Comp USA, and few of the
> >Waikele employees have been there for more that a year at best and don't
> >recall the specials. If Comp USA wants my business I would like somebody
> >at the Downtown Location to help me with this situation.
> >
> >I am in the market for a CDRom burner that works under Linux and or
> >Unix. And I would really like to know what stops the software from
> >detecting the one I have since it would be stupid to get another unit if
> >the same thing is going to happen.
> >
> >Any help is appreciated.
> >
>###########

Hi,

There are some companies that haven't trained their people to get beyond
a Microsoft Mentality. Too bad. I will follow up this with a letter.

The problem I have is more annoying since the staff turn over is so high
at Waikele that I see only one salesman that has been there more than a
year. If I can't find him I don't bother to buy there since the other
staff doesn't now as much IT as I do. One of the best techs I ran into
there in Unix was kept on the sales floor in the cell phone sales area
because  they didn't want him in the tech shop. I can't believe why.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043