[luau] News - Mandrake 9.0 vs. Mandrake 8.2 for new Linux users

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Thu Oct 3 02:04:00 PDT 2002

1.  For simple tasks, KOffice 1.2 actually does a pretty good job.  (The
screen settings need to be re-configured, but this is your speciality,
Geroge.)

2.  I am a desktop person.  When I started playing with Linux 5 years
ago (running WordPerfect 7 on RedHat 4.2), it always puzzled me why
people put so much fuss about firewalls (wouldn't a simple script line
DENY:ALL do the job?)  Indeed, this the exactly the kind of attitude
most Linux gurus have towards Linux desktops: Wouldn't
StarOffice/OpenOffice do everything?

3.  StarOffice started with a hopelessly bloated code mass, unless Sun
is willing to re-write the entire code, it is not going to replace
Microsoft Office.  Unfortunately, most Asian office suite makers (e.g.,
ChineseOffice 2000, Hancom Office, Red Flag, etc.) are only interested
in making superficial changes to OpenOffice (and charging $$$ for their
products) without addressing the fundamental issues.  This is not going
to help moving Linux to the desktops.  (Many Taiwanese governmental
entities, including their Department of Justice, took a close look at
StarOffice, and decided they are not ready to even consider Linux as a
viable desktop option.)

4.  As I mentioned elsewhere, Corel really holds the key to the success
of business Linux desktops.  A few months ago, the Corel executive, who
has been consistently refusing to engage in any meaningful conversations
with me regarding another native Linux port of WordPerfect, was fired.
As a result, Corel's CEO Derek Burney has changed his tone and promised
to take another look at WordPerfect/Linux if a potential Linux desktop
exists.

5.  At the present time, the only viable way to implement a business
Linux desktop is through Win4Lin (version 4.0.1+).  Unfortunately, there
are no available kernel patches at the present time that will allow
Win4Lin to work with either RedHat 8.0 or Mandrake 9.0.  Interestingly,
as a result of this, I am going to test Libranet 2.7.  (My friend Leon
Goldstein has just written an article on Linux Journal highly prasing
Libranet 2.7.)

As I am writing this, I have given them my credit card number,
downloaded the two ISOs, and burned them onto CDs.  Libranet--among all
the possible Linux distros and after I have spent so much time on Red
Hat and particularly Mandrake?