[luau] trouble with cdrw

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Tue Nov 26 12:40:00 PST 2002

On Tuesday, November 26, 2002, at 12:13 PM, MonMotha wrote:

> Be warned that I believe all Sony burners are shipping with DRM now.
> So if you're an anti-DRM advocate, keep this in mind.

I should have.  They are for a church/school, so I went with bargain.  A
few dollars more would have bought a Lite-on and perhaps much less
trouble.  Good advice.

> You can try setting the BIOS to CD or NONE.  Basically all you need to
> do is get the BIOS to shut up.  Linux does it's own probing of the bus
> and can normally reliably detect anything you throw at it (assuming
> it's not broken or non-standard, which these Sony drives may not be).

If I had not bought these as the only drives, then perhaps I would.
They need to be able to boot from these if they ever want to install
another distro.  As it stands, I just can't boot from them.  I had
thought about making boot floppies, but, I don't want these people to
get overwhelmed.  I haven't tried to boot from one with a Bios setting
of None.  I think I will.  Otherwise, these are likely heading towards
an RMA.

thanks

scott