[luau] trouble with cdrw

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Nov 26 12:08:00 PST 2002

R. Scott Belford wrote:

snip

> I have purchased 10 of these SONY CRX195 drives for use in a system
> based on the Gigabyte GA-7VKML motherboard.  When these cdrw's are
> connected to the motherboard on the primay or secondary channel as
> either master or slave, the motherboard hangs for a long time while
> posting.  The ide light for the motherboard stays on, and the door of
> the drive will not open or close.  After a while the machine continues
> to post, but if the drives have bootable media in them, the BIOS reads
> the cdrw's as small hard drives and offers the cylinders, heads, etc,
> info for the bootable media in the cdrw.  Gigabyte has an AUTO
> selection, a CD selection, and an OTHER selection in its BIOS for
> choosing ide devices.  I have tried each option.  When I choose OTHER,
> the BIOS reports that this is a non ATAPI device.  Any suggestions?  I
> notice that on the back of the drive that there are 6 pins to the far
> left that are not jumpered.  I have found that regular cdroms boot just
> fine.  These have two of the six pins to the back left side of the drive
> jumpered.

Be warned that I believe all Sony burners are shipping with DRM now.  So
if you're an anti-DRM advocate, keep this in mind.

You can try setting the BIOS to CD or NONE.  Basically all you need to
do is get the BIOS to shut up.  Linux does it's own probing of the bus
and can normally reliably detect anything you throw at it (assuming it's
not broken or non-standard, which these Sony drives may not be).

> This has happened with all 9 drives.  We did a build it yourself class,
> so we have many different builders with the same result.  It seems like
> hardware problems, but, 9 instances of the same issues suggests idiocy
> in the process.
>
> thanks for any suggestion you may have
>
> scott

--MonMotha