[luau] Creative DVD-Rom and Ogle

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sun Nov 24 09:37:01 PST 2002

Jeff Mings wrote:
> With all due respect to a Linux guru who knows much more than I, the
> problem is probably due to DMA being turned off by default.  On my first
> RH 8.0 machine, I was frustrated with the very same problem for several
> hours until I found instructions for turning on DVD DMA on freshrpms.net
> at http://freshrpms.net/docs/dvd/ .  Warren has placed the same info on
> his RH 8.0 tricks page on the MPLUG wiki.
>
> Good luck,
> -Jeff

Isn't that what I said? :)

There's an option in the kernel to only enable DMA for hard drives, but
not removable media.  RedHat turned this on in their kernel for
stability reasons (it causes problems in very rare circumstances, mostly
older systems).  Basically there's a bunch of ways around it to enable
DMA again on your DVD drive; pick any of them and run with it.

--MonMotha