[luau] Creative DVD-Rom and Ogle

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sat Nov 23 19:08:00 PST 2002

Grant Apgar wrote:
 > Hello Everyone,
 >
 >     Just recently I built a linux computer. The following compnents
 > include:
 >
 >     Red Hat 8.0
 >     Pentium 4  1.6Ghz
 >     PNY Geforce4 Ti 4200
 >     256MB DDR Ram
 >     Onboard Sis Sound
 >     Western Digital 60GB 7200rpm Drive
 >     Creative Ovation 16X DVD-ROM
 >     Shuttle Case and Motherboard
 >     Ogle DVD Player
 >
 >     The problem is when any Dvd movie plays it gets choppy. It plays for
 > 2-3 seconds then hangs for 1 sec. While it hangs the green light goes
 > brightens. Then dims letting the movie continue. Is this a problem with
 > SCSI emulation? Not enought memory? A buffer problem? It's like
 > streaming a movie and the buffer overflows.
 >
 > P.S. On a Sony VIAO FXA36 the same OS and Ogle works fine, but the dvd
 > is SCSI.

The problem is probably that your DVD drive is stuck in PIO mode.  I
know RedHat's kernel has the only enable DMA on disks option set, so DMA
won't get enabled on ATAPI devices.  I know there's a kernel option to
work around this, or you can use hdparm -d1 /dev/hdX.  However this may
not work if you are using SCSI emulation (why?  is this also a burner?)

--MonMotha