[luau] Path question

Thomas David Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Fri Nov 22 12:21:00 PST 2002

I'm tempted to say do your google homework, but by coincidence I was
fiddling with paths last week and trying to find a good review, couldn't
find one!

PATH is an environment variable used by the shell to know where to look
for commands you type in, also used by application to look for config
files or data files. It is usually set in .bash_profile in the user's
home directory. as in

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin
export PATH

This means "make my PATH variable = what it is now plus the value of the
HOME environment variable/bin stuck on the end. The export line I think
makes it permanent, rather than just being in effect while the batch
file is running.  So if you want to add /usr/local/kde/bin to your path,
you could edit your .bash_profile to include

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:/usr/local/kde/bin
export PATH

Actually, you should probably check to see if it's already there, with
echo $PATH

Didactic Dave