[luau] My thoughts regarding linux demos

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Sun Nov 10 21:09:00 PST 2002

  My experience with Knoppix is nothing short of absolutely sensational.
 Booting time on my "ancient" Athlon 900 MHz notebook (from power-on to
ready to do productive work) was less than one minute and half--faster
than from the hard disk.  Web browsing is faster than even using a much
more powerful desktop.  And the Japanese version of Knoppix also worked
on my first try; the "shift-space" combo (to input Japanese characters)
worked seemlessly in OO, KO, vi, etc.

Of course, the reason Knoppix is faster is because it was optimized for
desktops.  Knoppix is also structured to utilize your existing swap
partition if you have Linux, or a DOS partition if you don't.

I have spent more time on Linux desktops than probably anyone on earth
(that, of course, doesn't mean that I am good--which I definitely am
not; but as I mentioned here before, I was the technical editor for the
first book on Linux desktops--"WordPerfect 8 for Linux Bible"), and my
recent experience with Knoppix is ranked among the most exciting
adventures that I ever had.

Understandably, LUAU is not the right forum to discuss Knoppix; thus, I
have set up a separate group called KnoppixHawaii to facilitate further
discussions:

Because I don't really anticipate much activity, this forum, at the
present time, is totally uncensored and unmoderated. If, however, we
become lucky and our knowledge and experience should reach a certain
level such that someone from our islands will be able to develop a
business proposal, I will be more than happy to provide some seed money.
 As I mentioned to Warren, the entire work will have to be done under
the GPL, so everyone will benefit.  How to share your knowledge with
other (so others will be willing to share theirs with you) while
maintaining a technical niche, is something our previous generations
didn't have to seriously face.