[luau] single login/authentication?

Zachary Ortogero zack at hawaiiwireless.net
Sat Nov 9 17:00:39 PST 2002

Well if your windows clients are win2k then why not take a
look at kerberos? Last time I checked there was some
discussion about windows clients logging into a kerberos
realm hosted on linux machines.

Teamed up with LDAP, SASL, and AFS you could put together a
pretty nice system :-) but you'd have to do some extra
research into the 'extensions' that Microsoft utilizes in
their implementation of Kerberos and whether it's
compatible with the MIT Kerberos v5 software.

Something to look at...

> Is it possible on a LAN with Linux, Irix, and Windows
clients for users to have
> access to all clients by using the same
username/password, but without redundancy?
> So to add a new user, I would go to one server and make
the switch and it would
> then be usable on all clients.
>
> NIS, LDAP, and using samba as a PDC have all come up as
possibilities in my
> googling, but the discussions I've found don't really
address my concrete concerns.
> NIS or LDAP seem like possibilities for unix-only
networks, and samba looks
> good for a bunch of windows clients and a linux server.
But all in one network?

> So I'm punting and tossing the question to you guys.
Should I pursue this further,
> and if so, which of these (or some other acronym) is most
likely to achieve
> my goal?
>
> If I am understanding, the NIS approach (server gives
updated passwd files to
> clients) is different from the PDC/samba approach (server
provides authentication
> service directly). (LDAP I don't understand at all.)
>
> These don't seem very compatible. I guess you could glue
them together by having
> the samba PDC use NIS to get its user info as if it were
a unix client. Right?
> Or you might need a tool (or a person) to do some
conversion to keep the master
> unix user data and the pdc user data in sync as people
change their passwords,