[luau] single login/authentication?

burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com burnst001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Nov 9 13:25:00 PST 2002

Is it possible on a LAN with Linux, Irix, and Windows clients for users to have
access to all clients by using the same username/password, but without redundancy?
So to add a new user, I would go to one server and make the switch and it would
then be usable on all clients.

NIS, LDAP, and using samba as a PDC have all come up as possibilities in my
googling, but the discussions I've found don't really address my concrete concerns.
NIS or LDAP seem like possibilities for unix-only networks, and samba looks
good for a bunch of windows clients and a linux server. But all in one network?

So I'm punting and tossing the question to you guys. Should I pursue this further,
and if so, which of these (or some other acronym) is most likely to achieve
my goal?

If I am understanding, the NIS approach (server gives updated passwd files to
clients) is different from the PDC/samba approach (server provides authentication
service directly). (LDAP I don't understand at all.)

These don't seem very compatible. I guess you could glue them together by having
the samba PDC use NIS to get its user info as if it were a unix client. Right?
Or you might need a tool (or a person) to do some conversion to keep the master
unix user data and the pdc user data in sync as people change their passwords,
users are added and deleted, etc.

Detective Dave