[luau] Ghost for Linux and Pattition Image

bhoward at hale.org bhoward at hale.org
Mon Nov 4 19:13:01 PST 2002

>>>>> "MonMotha" == MonMotha  <monmotha at indy.rr.com> writes:

MonMotha> When cloning windows systems, Norton Ghost can modify the
MonMotha> magic numbers associated with your NT install that are
MonMotha> supposed to be unique (a plain disk image can't do this) as
MonMotha> well as a few other things (people tout "ghostwalker" which
MonMotha> is essentially a loopback mount of the fielsystem, but
MonMotha> anyway).

Yep, several people I know who use ghost for mass deployment of NT and
other DOS family systems swear by it and tell me that they haven't
found any application "magic" numbers it couldn't handle (or that the
ghost development team couldn't make handle within a few days of
reporting a problem).

MonMotha> However, on UNIX, I can't think of anything a specialized
MonMotha> program would offer over dd and netcat :)

Maybe it just offers a degree of branding "security" for the novice
user and perhaps a little cleverness at figuring out things like the
blocksizes.

					    Bruce