[luau] Ghost for Linux and Pattition Image

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Mon Nov 4 17:01:01 PST 2002

bhoward at hale.org wrote:

> W> Slashdot has a thread on Ghost for Unix which also contains a side
> W> thread on "Partition Image".  Has any one ever used either of these
> W> tools?  If so, can you "copy" the image to a hard disc with a different
> W> size?
>
> I've always found "dd" to be more that adequate for this sort of thing
> under Linux or any other UNIX system.  I'm curious why anyone would
> need to resort to ghost...
>
> 					  Cheers,
> 					  Bruce

When cloning windows systems, Norton Ghost can modify the magic numbers
associated with your NT install that are supposed to be unique (a plain
disk image can't do this) as well as a few other things (people tout
"ghostwalker" which is essentially a loopback mount of the fielsystem,
but anyway).  However, on UNIX, I can't think of anything a specialized
program would offer over dd and netcat :)

--MonMotha