[luau] Toshiba Laptop

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue May 28 18:23:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Edward Haddock" <erhaddock at bizwind.com>
To: "Linux Users Group" <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 2:43 PM
Subject: [luau] Toshiba Laptop

> Aloha all,
>     Well, I succesfully loaded Red Hat 6.1 on my Toshiba Laptop. I am
> thinking 7.3 will be even better. As to the XP machine. I am gonna take
SC7
> off and just use the NT Loader. Does linux have an 8 Gig problem, btw? I
> noted it was at the 10 gig spot on the part. Thanks for all the advice.
You
> guys are great.
> Edward

The 8GB problem has been solved a long time ago for most machines, but many
old BIOSes simply wont boot above the 8GB watermark.  How old is your
machine?

The Red Hat installer will warn you if you try to make your /boot (or / in a
/boot-less system) above 8GB, but it wont disallow you from making that
decision.  In most cases on newer machines it worked.  It hasn't failed on
any Pentium II machines and later that I have tried.