[luau] Looking for school LTSP project

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Tue May 28 15:35:00 PDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 28, 2002, at 02:27 PM, Taylor Cody Civ SAIC/PETS wrote:

> We will have about 20 various machines ready by Thursday.  We did get
> the
> green light after I sent the link to Computers For Learning.  Mr AhSing
> will
> have to sign for the computers before we can release them.  We are
> picking
> up half the computers tomorrow and we are trying to round up some more
> monitors.  We only have to destroy the hard drives if they have secret
> or
> higher info on them, that shouldn't be to many.  The unclass drives only
> need to be formatted.  Can you see if Mr AhSing can come to Hickam or
> the
> Institute to sign for them on Thursday morning?

He can be there to sign for them on Thursday morning.  I will call you.
The room is not ready, so the transitional time at MidPac would be
ideal.  The room is perfect for about, well, about 20 computers.  Heat
could become an issue, but if they are dumb terminals this should not be
a problem, should it?  He appreciates the need to demonstrate the
viability of this project so that the schools will feel the need to copy
it.  I am not a churchgoer, but there are a lot of people from different
walks of life with affiliations with different schools who are.  I
smell, as we say in the business world, synergy.

A concern he had was that this would not be under the control of "his
guys" within the church.  The way I understand it, we are here to
facilitate the acquisition of surplus hardware by needy organizations
and utilize it with Open Source software like the LTSP.  We are then
here to ease the adaptation of this thing called Linux or *bsd or
whatever the case may be.  As such, as I explained, anyone on this list
can, at any time, offer help by email or even the phone.  Furthermore, I
explained that if something was so bad that it needed personal
attention, someone would walk over (or ssh over) and fix it.  I said
that we are a transparent group that existed to help but that did not
have an agenda to control or dictate the use of the resources other than
that they use Open Source in a way that meets their needs.  Does this
sound about right?

scott