[luau] Aloha all / Hat 7.3 / Drake 8.2

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon May 27 08:20:01 PDT 2002

Here you go again, George.

You have all the time in the world, but I believe most of us can only
afford to be interested in finding a business solution.  At the present
time, I would say, stick with either Red Hat or Mandrake, or both,
mainly because they have some of the best beta testing protocols, and at
least the latter seems to be working quite OK (I am sure Red Hat will
also work great, and no one should ignore the big brother of Linux).

Of course, there is always a desire to try new distros.  However, again,
personally, I believe our time will be much better spent to build user
experience/expertise around application software (preferably
distro-neutral).  For example, besides Warren, I don't see anyone
talking about WINE?

There are also a number of things that I would like to see some able
bodies actually put their hands/minds on:

1.  File/printer sharing with Win2K/WinXP.
2.  Direct copying of music CDs.
3.  Voice recognition (looks someone is already working on this).
4.  Linux-based accounting packages (e.g., moneydance, gnucash, kapital,
etc.)
5.  Any time-tracking programs for attorneys?
6.  Running Quicken under Win4Lin.
7.  Dosemu (there are still a number of DOS users, mainly medical
transcribers who are using WPDOS almost exclusively).
8.  Debian has a Debian-for-doctors project, can we port that knowledge
to rpm-based distros?  (Linux is moving into the financial/banking
sectors, but I believe the healthcare industry will be the most
promising market.)

Etc.

(On the "user community" thing, we have to learn that we should not
expect to receive everything for free just because it is "Linux". We
should not expect that there will always be people like Warren, Scott,
and other gurus in this board who will do nothing but answering our
questions for FREE. This will set a very bad example for potential Linux
wannabes. We have to learn that sometimes, or most of time for Windows
users, we need to pay to have our questions answered.  Mandrake has a
MandrakeExpert, where you can pay to have your questions answered.)

Peace

wayne