[luau] NEWS: Status of Macromedia Flash petition / Administrator Excuses

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Sun May 26 09:26:00 PDT 2002

I can attest the the Hawaii public school administrators are always full
of excuses.  One example was the DOE committed to Sony Beta video format
at the same time that is was being phased out.  The public schools
purchased tons of Beta video format equipment that had to be replaced
due to the subsequent lack of Beta format software.  When the schools
first got into computers I wanted to have an honest debate as to whether
or not to go with IBM clone PC's or Apple MacIntosh.  There was  no
debate, the principal just decided that the school would go with
Macintosh.  While Macintoshes are perhaps better, the long term result
is that it is very costly for taxpayers.  Plus it has come to my
attention recently that people who use Macintosh exclusively are
essentially computer illiterate as many of them seem unable to adapt to
anything even slightly different from a Macintosh, but equally user
friendly.  The end result is they opt for computer systems costing
thousands more than a cheap clone running a good Linux system like
Mandrake 8.2.  When a U of H professor can't tell the difference between
a mail client and a web browser, or to look down at the task bar to see
what applications are running or which documents are open, it is indeed
a sad situation.