[luau] Aloha all

Edward Haddock erhaddock at bizwind.com
Sun May 26 09:18:00 PDT 2002

Ray,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ray Strode" <halfline at hawaii.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 3:37 AM
Subject: Re: [luau] Aloha all

> Hi Edward,
>
> > boot=/dev/hda3
> Okay this means it was setup to go into the bootsector of hda3.  That
> would be correct to use some sort of system commander i think.
>
> > image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
> Judging from this line I'd say that you are running a _very_ old version
> of Red Hat (6.2?).  I'd suggest, since you are setting things up anyway,
> that you upgrade to the latest version, 7.3.  Do you have a CD burner?
> If so, you can download the ISOs from:
>
> ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors/iso/redhat-7.3/
>
> Get:
> valhalla-i386-disc1.iso
> valhalla-i386-disc2.iso
> valhalla-i386-disc3.iso
>
> If you don't have a burner and you are coming to the installfest, then
> tell me and I'll give you a copy each cd.
I have a burner. I will D/L and burn them today. Hopefully this version will
work a lot better.
> > label=linux
> > initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
> > read-only
> > root=dev/hda3
> This should be root=/dev/hda3
>
> > other=dev/hda1
> This should be root=/dev/hda1
My Typos. They are indeed /dev in both cases.
> > >then run dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/tmp/lunix.boot bs=512 count=1
> > Tried. Received an error that stated file does not exist. ????
> That's an odd error.  Sounds like you may have a bad boot disk that
> doesn't have devices setup.  I /think/ the redhat 6.2 installer has a
> rescue mode built-in.  If it does, then you can boot the CD and then
> type:
>
> linux rescue root=/dev/hda3
>
> It may be too old to have that feature tho.  I don't remember.
>6.1 does have rescue. But I got dd to work fine. I am not sure what I was
doing wrong but after looking at it I got it to work.
> Also note above where it has /dev/hda2, you would want hda3. Also, this
> is only going to work if you have lilo in your boot sector of hda3,
> which your problems could concievably be happening because you don't.
lilo is first sector of boot partition.
> > I really am not setup straight to XP. I am still using SC. If I could
get XP
> > to boot it that would be cool too I suppose.
> Yes, the biggest problem with doing it this way is anytime you upgrade
> kernels, you have to repeat the procedure.  Not a very robust way imo.
> Grub is the best boot loader that I've found (much better than ntldr).
Cool. I will check it out.
> Does your computer not boot at all right now or is booting linux the
> only thing that doesn't work?
>
> If your computer isn't booting at all, then let's not use system
> commander (if that's okay with you).
>
> Boot the XP install disc, go into rescue mode (does XP have rescue
> mode?  I know 2000 does) and then goto the rescue
> console and type FIXMBR.  This will overwrite the master boot record
> with XP's ntldr.
>
> This will get XP booting again.  Once that happens you can
> setup lilo, ntldr, or grub (or whatever) to boot up linux and
> windows.  This step will probably require further email
> correspondance.
>
> If your computer boots XP, but not Linux, then maybe lilo never got
> installed.
>
> You can fix this by using your boot disk, then typing:
>
> /sbin/lilo
Xp boots fine. Linux boots fine off of a floppy to the Bash Prompt. It just
won't boot through SC7.
> The other possibility is the System Commander configuration is
> wrong.  I know nothing about this so I may not be able to help.
> Could you explain to me basically how it works?
System Commander is a multiboot program basically. Sort of like bootpart but
more extensive.
> The other option is to download the ISOs I mention above and install a
> current version of Linux. This may solve your problems and you'll have
> less buggy, more up to date software.
>Cool, will do.
> --Ray
Edward