[luau] NEWS: Status of Macromedia Flash petition

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Sun May 26 07:24:00 PDT 2002

  Warren-

Below is an exchange between an angry Macromedia shareholder and a
Macromedia tech support.  It appears that Macromedia promises that Flash
6 for Linux will be available this summer.

While I am on this subject, please allow me to make a few extra comments.

On your drive to push the adoption (or at least the consideration
thereof) of LTSP for Hawaii schools, you are doing a very good job. But
deep down, I feel that school adms will come out with other excuses if
you solve this problem.  (The next most common excuse will most likely
be, which is indeed quite laughable: do you have a virus protection
protocol?) I strongly believe that eventually we will need to consider a
legal solution--i.e., taking the school boards to the court.  As
taxpayers, we should have a voice as to how our tax $$$ is being spent.
 But I believe you are taking the right first step in focusing your
initial effort on private schools.

I am thinking about doing the same thing with Texas, oops, Hawaii, Bar
Association.  Currently, it has adopted a water-tight Microsoft-only
policy (the most outrageous in the country).  Don't get me wrong,
Microsoft makes very good products, but since our state bar has a
compulsory due-paying policy (and I believe we have one of the highest
dues among all the states that I am licensed), I don't think the State
Bar should be aiding and abetting an illegal monopoly at the expense of
its members.

I probably should not have brought the above issue, but my main point
is, we need to have a workable turn-key solution for business Linux
desktop users before we step up our advocacy.  George and I have
completed a pretty good first phrase in this regard, and I would welcome
more volunteers to help trying out different desktop packages and
documenting our user experience.

wayne