[luau] Aloha all

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Sat May 25 23:37:00 PDT 2002

Hi Edward,

> boot=/dev/hda3
Okay this means it was setup to go into the bootsector of hda3.  That
would be correct to use some sort of system commander i think.

> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
Judging from this line I'd say that you are running a _very_ old version
of Red Hat (6.2?).  I'd suggest, since you are setting things up anyway,
that you upgrade to the latest version, 7.3.  Do you have a CD burner?
If so, you can download the ISOs from:

ftp://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors/iso/redhat-7.3/

Get:
valhalla-i386-disc1.iso
valhalla-i386-disc2.iso
valhalla-i386-disc3.iso

If you don't have a burner and you are coming to the installfest, then
tell me and I'll give you a copy each cd.

> label=linux
> initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
> read-only
> root=dev/hda3
This should be root=/dev/hda3

> other=dev/hda1
This should be root=/dev/hda1

> >then run dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/tmp/lunix.boot bs=512 count=1
> Tried. Received an error that stated file does not exist. ????
That's an odd error.  Sounds like you may have a bad boot disk that
doesn't have devices setup.  I /think/ the redhat 6.2 installer has a
rescue mode built-in.  If it does, then you can boot the CD and then
type:

linux rescue root=/dev/hda3

It may be too old to have that feature tho.  I don't remember.

Also note above where it has /dev/hda2, you would want hda3. Also, this
is only going to work if you have lilo in your boot sector of hda3,
which your problems could concievably be happening because you don't.

> I really am not setup straight to XP. I am still using SC. If I could get XP
> to boot it that would be cool too I suppose.
Yes, the biggest problem with doing it this way is anytime you upgrade
kernels, you have to repeat the procedure.  Not a very robust way imo.
Grub is the best boot loader that I've found (much better than ntldr).

Does your computer not boot at all right now or is booting linux the
only thing that doesn't work?

If your computer isn't booting at all, then let's not use system
commander (if that's okay with you).

	Boot the XP install disc, go into rescue mode (does XP have 	rescue
mode?  I know 2000 does) and then goto the rescue
	console and type FIXMBR.  This will overwrite the master boot 	record
with XP's ntldr.

	This will get XP booting again.  Once that happens you can
	setup lilo, ntldr, or grub (or whatever) to boot up linux and
	windows.  This step will probably require further email
	correspondance.

If your computer boots XP, but not Linux, then maybe lilo never got
installed.

	You can fix this by using your boot disk, then typing:

	/sbin/lilo

	The other possibility is the System Commander configuration is
	wrong.  I know nothing about this so I may not be able to help.
	Could you explain to me basically how it works?

The other option is to download the ISOs I mention above and install a
current version of Linux. This may solve your problems and you'll have
less buggy, more up to date software.

--Ray