[luau] Aloha all

Edward Haddock erhaddock at bizwind.com
Sat May 25 11:22:00 PDT 2002

Ray,
> > I can boot from a floppy via mkbootdisk and get to the shell.
> Good!  Would you mind typing,
>
> cat /etc/lilo.conf
> and reporting what it says to the list?
boot=/dev/hda3
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.12-20
label=linux
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.12-20.img
read-only
root=dev/hda3

other=dev/hda1
label=dos

Micheal,
>I have successfully used XP with Slackware by doing approximately the
following:

>run liloconf and install lilo into the first sector of your linux
partition.
Done. I did this thriough expert mode of install and set it to first
partition of hda3, my linux part.
>then run dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/tmp/lunix.boot bs=512 count=1 (replace hdax
with whatever partition you have linux installed on)
Tried. Received an error that stated file does not exist. ????
I really am not setup straight to XP. I am still using SC. If I could get XP
to boot it that would be cool too I suppose.
>then copy /tmp/lunix.bin to your XP c:\
>then edit c:\boot.ini and add a line like this:
>c:\lunix.bin=Lunix
>here's an example:
>==============================
>[boot loader]
>timeout=30
>default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>[operating systems]
>multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="M$ Winblows XP" /fastdetect
>c:\ulnix.bin="Lunix"
>==============================
>when u reboot u should have a choice of booting into linux or XP and..
well, hope it works.
>if you give this a go let me know how it goes, I'll double check the setup.
Tried but no success.
Ok, this is a new system so no worries really about data. XP takes a while
to setup and I can repart the disk as I desire. It is a 80 Gig Western
Digital. I have it in 4/20's right now. All my data is on the 40 I pulled
out. Once I get all the OS's up and running I will reinstall and copy data
back. From what I understand reading all the docs on XP and multiboot, one
needs to install older os's first then XP last. After that you can do linux.
Plan:
Part and format drive to four 20 gig parts.
Load ME than XP over top of that.
Do an expert load of Red Hat on 2nd part and then do as Michael suggested.
Note that dd did not work for some reason.
Setup up XP for ISP share and do all of it's stuff.
Setup Red Hat to do same and all of its stuff.
Load 40 and move data.
Format and part 40 into 2 20 gig parts. "May save for a server and use as a
web server or etc...."
Will have 2 used 20 gigs and 4 empties.

Ok, the rambling is done. Any advicee guys on why dd did not work? I know
how to format a floppy and move the file to it if needed. Then copy to C:\

Well, that is enough of my problems for now. Thanks again.
Edward