[luau] Looking for school LTSP project

R. Scott Belford sctinc at flex.com
Fri May 24 17:58:01 PDT 2002

Once we have some hardware, I am in favor of trying to help any school's
computer club or any other group.  I am in favor of contributing
computers to churches, community groups, elderly groups, anyone to whom
we can spread our enthusiasm for Linux.  We need the hardware, though.
If it does not come with requirements, we should put it wherever we can.

We were close to having our first install next week.  Charlie AhSing
called me back today.  We will meet this weekend.  The thing is, we are
not sure that Cody will be able to get Air Force hardware for us to
dedicate to a non-public school entity like his.  This is fair and
should be respected.  Within the military is a ton of volunteer labor
for cabling and a ton of hardware.  Because the military is a function
of our government, they are under some regulations to ensure fair
treatment with dedicated hardware.  I would imagine that there is room
for misunderstanding if, for instance, too much hardware ended up in the
hands of Christian denominations.  These limits are worth working with.
I like Warren's suggestion that the hardware be accepted and labeled for
our first public school.  I would guess, though, that the kind custodian
Cody is dealing with has paperwork to complete that requires some
approvable detail about where the hardware is going.  Once we work this
out, I think there is a wealth of hardware from our military friends, we
just have to work within their regulations.  Cody says that there are
many hardware custodians who would pass their old stuff to us.  They
need recognition, volunteer hours, and an approved institution to give
it to.  When they get that, the floodgates may just open.

scott