[luau] The open-sourcing of PriceBusters

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri May 24 12:17:00 PDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-24 at 10:08, R. Scott Belford wrote:
>   Are your linux register boxen going to be running X?  I checked
> whatever version of the kernel source I have laying aroudn on my
> hard-drive (console.c) and the kernel's console vt's don't appear to
> support those particular escape sequences.  I don't think it would be
> too terribly hard to add that feature to the kernel tho (it's all
> grouped in a pretty easy to follow set of switch() statements). There
> may already be a patch on the net somewhere, or it may already be in the
> kernel in a non-obvious [for me] spot.  I'll do more investigating if
> you like.

Ray, have you checked when the TERM variable is vt100? (or several of
the somewhat compatible other terms like VT220 or ANSI, these I remember
using pass-thru printing with back in the day too.  For example the
Hawaii State Library System that still uses telnet works well with VT220
emulation, and you can print articles from their magazine article index
via pass-thru.)

> Interesting.  What are those codes?  When I looked in the vt102 user
> manual, I didn't see anything to support printer selection (probably
> because real vt102's and the like only had at most one printer per
> terminal).

This will necessitate the use of one or more remote LPD devices, very
similar to the current setup of samba printers in use to control the
other "print" devices on the Win98 client side.

This would be straight forward if we stuck with a pure telnet solution,
however if we try to secure it with SSHD it suddenly becomes more
complex for these server to client print jobs, unless we don't need
these to be encrypted.

These LPD print devices may be somewhat complicated to get working
properly on the bootable flash disk distribution that MonMotha helps us
construct, but it would be possible.

Warren Togami
warren at togami.com