[luau] subnet problem

Todd Lee todd at LANtech-HI.com
Thu May 23 19:30:00 PDT 2002

Can you ping the servers local IP?  Are you using some kind of router in
front of the web server or on your LAN?  The router might be trying to kick
all external requests outside of the subnet.  I.e.. If you have all the
computers on a cable gateway /router sharing the same internet connection,
and you have port 80 forwarded to your web server, if you try to use another
internal client (not the web server) on the gateway to ping out to your
external IP the one your DNS might be resolving to, your router might not
allow "echoing" the ping.  Also, if you try and view WebPages on the
external IP, the router might have a hard time depending on the routing
tables.  I know the Linksys cable routers used to have this problem but
since have upgraded their firmware to correctly route IPs.

I'm not too sure if this helps, it might be easier if you describe your
setup.

-Todd

I sort of asked this question before but I've reworded it hoping I will
get a better response.  Is there a reason that my Web Server cannot be
accessed by any machines on the same sub network??  I can't view webpages,
cannot remotely login, cannot ping.  There is no problem hitting this
machine from anywhere else.

any ideas would be much appreciated,
Ronnie

Our character is what we do when we think no one is looking.  -H.Jackson
Brown, Jr.