[Fwd: [luau] Taiwan High Schools Forming Linux Alliance]

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Wed May 22 11:52:00 PDT 2002

I failed to mention that one of the key implementors of this Linux
project is a high school student.  He will be teaching his "teachers"
how to use Apache, Slash, PHPnuke, Samba, MySQL, etc.  I really
seriously doubt a student taught in an exclusively Windows environment
will have the resources/access/desire to learn, practice, and popularize
those skills.

A few years ago I had a summer intern who was a sophomore in one of our
local public (but not highly regarded) high schools.  His computer
skills (through self-taught Linux) really shocked me.  Ultimately, those
self-taught skills, among other things, won him a full schoolarship at
one of the most prestigious school in the East.

Taiwan is particularly significant in the Linux equation because it
controls the development of peripherals.  I have been trying
unsuccessfully to convince one of my clients in Taiwan to develop cheap
but good LinModems.  Perhaps this new movement will change their mind.