[luau] work in hawaii vs continental 48

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Wed May 15 22:38:46 PDT 2002

Heh, just gotta wonder whether I'm crazy or talentless..., oh wait,
there's the ambitionless option too...

Reminds me of
when the previous president of my company got up in front of everybody
last year and said that from now on we'd have to quit hiring just anybody
(which really didn't pump up our self-esteems much)... ironically he said
this only three months before he was, uh, resigned on out the door.
(as an aside, another famous quote from him, after having a couple of
other engineers and me explain to him that if we started documenting and
organizing our design efforts we wouldn't need a goal like "hire 12 new
people a month for a year" (and then lay them off ;o): "if it works, don't
fix it."  Truly a man of vision striving for perfection.)

Anyway, just wondering, is the job market on over there on the Bigger
Island really any better than over here in these smaller ones?  It seems
like over here there's still a number of "specialty" or "niche" jobs
available for people doing wierd stuffs (like Linux), while at the same
time my friends "over there" are telling me there just isn't anything
going on anymore.

Is there any way for people to drum up work with/for linux?  I always
thought that the software industry would be ideal for Hawaii, our economy
is already kinda screwy, it doesn't produce much in the way of pollution,
etc.

-Charles

ps- if this has been hashed over before, my apologies.  a brief shoot
through the archives only turned up similar but different topics...

written by someone: