[luau] NEWS: gcc 3.1 out

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Wed May 15 21:17:00 PDT 2002

Neat!  Here's one bit from the CHANGELOG.

a.. SPEC2000 and SPEC95 benchmark suites are now used daily to monitor
performance of the generated code.

According to the SPECInt2000 results on an AMD Athlon CPU, the code
generated by GCC 3.1 is 6% faster on the average (8.2% faster with profile
feedback) compared to GCC 3.0. The code produced by GCC 3.0 is about 2.1%
faster compared to 2.95.3. Tests were done using the -O2 -march=athlon
command-line options.