[Fwd: Re: [luau] WordPerfect for Linux]

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Thu May 9 10:05:08 PDT 2002

Scott-

Below is my follow-up message to Warren.  I did not know that what I
thought was a personal note to Warren was going to be posted at LUAU.  I
wouldn't have written my comment to Warren had I not had great respects
and deep appreciation for him.

"[T]ireless", "(and thankless)".  Two words that most succintly describe
Warren's leadership in our little Linux community here (just wish it
could be much bigger, also I don't believe most of our local people are
aware that Warren is a very prominent national figure on the AMD forum).
 Actually I have invited Warren to the Bankers Club for lunch a couple
of times, he was always too busy to accept it.

Well, from your message, it appears that Warren is not that
unappreciated.  :-)

Best,

W. Wayne Liauh, Ph.D., J.D.
Attorney and Counselor at Law

Warren-

Thanks for the reply.  Truth is the best defense to any defamation
suit.  What you are saying about Corel and WordPerfect are absolutely
true.  However, that does not prevent someone from suing you.  Defending
a law suit can be very expensive, even though you have a perfectly
legitimate defense.  Of course, you don't have to worry about anyone
ever thinking about suing you.  But, for me, it is a different ball
game, and I have to be stupidly careful and stupidly ultra-sensitive.

I have been making extremely critical comments against Corel s CEO in
several public forums, however, I am prepared to take on a fight with
Corel management.

Now getting back to the WordPerfect issue.  Dealing with Corel has been
one of the most frustrating experiences of my professional life.
However, they own the product that I have to rely on to make a living.

Gav and I had a long talk when he was leaving Corel.  Personally, I don
t think WINE is the solution for WordPerfect or most Windows based
programs.  Gav will tell you that it is easier to port Windows games to
Linux using WINE, because games require less APIs, and most of them are
better documented and more straightforward.  Porting WYSIWYG
wordprocessors with WINE, however, is a very different story.  I don t
think it will ever be possible, if not prohibitively expensive, to port
most of the APIs necessary to run WordPerfect into Linux.

Then we will run into the testing problems.  For commercial software,
code development counts for only 10% of the total cost.  Microsoft
writes good software because it has an army of competent and willing
outside testers.  If we want to encourage and induce business owners to
adopt Linux, we must make sure that we can provide a turn-key solution
which has been thoroughly tested under similar conditions.  At the
present time, this piece of the Linux puzzle is seriously missing.

I am trying to find a few volunteer lawyers from the Hawaii Bar
Association to test the Linux solution.  Preliminarily, I am very
pleased to find out that WordPerfect 8 seems to provide all the features
necessary to produce complicated documents.  Of course, it is much more
fun to use OpenOffice/StarOffice than this old dog.  However, there are
quite a few critical features that are not yet available in OO/SO, also,
neither program has been reliably tested.  With time, perhaps OpenOffice
will have enough features be the solution for law offices.  But at the
present time, the best solution seems to be using WordPerfect 8 for
official/office use, and OpenOffice for other chores.

That said, I believe WINE will be very useful in porting other key
windows programs, such as time-tracking, billing, accounting, etc. to
Linux.  However, the first step, as far as converting law offices to
Linux is concerned, is to satisfy our wordprocessing needs.  As I
indicated above, WordPerfect 8, which is a natively compiled Linux
program, seems to be extremely promising.

Just a few random comments.