[luau] Mandrake install from PCMCIA CD-ROM?

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue May 7 22:24:57 PDT 2002

acciavat at hawaii.edu wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the list and I hope it's OK to post technical questions
> here...
>
> I have a Sony Vaio SR33 with a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive and USB floppy. I
> can boot the Mandrake 8.1 install CD OK, but when it starts the install
> process (any mode), it wants me to specify a SCSI driver. Using any
> driver it says it cannot see the CD drive.
>
> Can anybody rent me a clue on this one. Obviously Linux sees the CD,
> but something in the install program freaks out.
>
> I have done a fair amount of online searching and pored through the
> mandrakeuser.org fora. No dice... most comments refer to how easy it is
> to get Linux up on the SR33, so I must be missing somethng obvious.
>
> advTHANKSance,
> (sorry, I always wanted to do that)
> Paul

I've never used a PCMCIA CD-ROM so I am not qualified to answer
quesitons specifically about that, but may I recommend trying Mandrake 8.2?

If that doesn't work, then you may consider a network installation of
Mandrake.  You can boot into network install mode, and it can download
the RPM packages from a machine on your LAN or over the Internet if you
have a fast connection.  I myself have not done a CD installation for
many months now due to the convenience of network installs.  RoadRunner
is fast enough to do network installs from the Videl server at the
University, and things will soon become even faster when we get our own
Linux mirror server at Oceanic.