[luau] Warrren re: OpenOffice

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Tue May 7 11:14:28 PDT 2002

Warren, Somehow I messed up and message did not make it; I have a lot to
learn. Anyway, will answer the questions you posed.

What operating system and version?  Running Mandrake 8.1 using primarily
Gnome and Ximian.

Which version of OpenOffice did you download? Version 1.0, the just released
version. When I installed, rather than following the suggested location
"/opt", I let the install program choose and it chose /root. It seems
now Ihave someting in /root but also in /home/alvin. Confusing. Also in the
/home/alvin/OpenOffice.org1.0 location there seem to be only three
executable files: "setup", "spadmin", and "soffice". Think there should be
"swriter" and others. Ximian does not show it in "Programs"; Gnome does
but nothing happens when selecting it. Hope this helps. Thanks for
responding.

P.S. Since this message, I downloaded StarOffice 6 from Mandrake and it
seems to be working but sloooow, and disappointed there is no WP import
filter. Please do no hesitate to counsel me if I am not following the
protocol of this group; I am very excited to find some help so close to
home. If I did not mention before, I am a Psyhiatrist, spend all day
with my laptop, using primarily WPWin9 and Dragon NS 4; I am determined
to migrate to Linux by working out kinks on home machine. I have
successfully gotten ViaVoic working, but still have not solved the wrod
processor dilemma. WP8 for Lin works but it is so wierd about printers;
if I could find a way to get around the WP printer drivers so that I
could print, at work, to various windows printers (that is what I do at
home, but with limited success in WP), and if I could reliably save my
WP files over the LAN as Word files (so that others can use and print
them), I would probably stay with WP8. Anyway, thanks