[luau] Changing Modes

Ralph Miranda dragonhawk007 at hotmail.com
Fri May 3 15:41:19 PDT 2002

what if I change my NTNF file back to fat32 using Partition Magic..
think it'll work?

Ralph

From: "Wayne Bow" <admin at stfrancis-oahu.org>
To: luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu
Subject: Re: [luau] Changing Modes
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 12:30:43 -1000

Hey All,
 > It worked for the root directory...

Am I wrong in thinking  that changing / to 777 permissions is a
"dangerous thing"?

  however, when I tried the directory
 > windows I received the following messages:
 >
 > [mirandar at shf102135 /]$ ll -d mnt
 > drwxrwxrwt    8 root     root         4096 Apr 16 07:39 mnt/
 >
 > [mirandar at shf102135 /]$ cd mnt
 > [mirandar at shf102135 mnt]$ ls
 > cdrom/  disk/  floppy/  smb/  windows/  zip/
 > [mirandar at shf102135 mnt]$ chmod 1777 windows
 > chmod: changing permissions of `windows': Read-only file system

If your Windows partition is NTFS I believe that Linux can only use it
as read-only so you can't change the permissions to
read/write/xecute.  Yes?

Wayne Bow
Network Administrator
St Francis School                   (808) 988.4111 ext 107
"Quality education in a spirit of JOY"