[luau] Changing Modes

Wayne Bow admin at stfrancis-oahu.org
Fri May 3 15:30:43 PDT 2002

Hey All,
> It worked for the root directory...

Am I wrong in thinking  that changing / to 777 permissions is a
"dangerous thing"?

 however, when I tried the directory
> windows I received the following messages:
>
> [mirandar at shf102135 /]$ ll -d mnt
> drwxrwxrwt    8 root     root         4096 Apr 16 07:39 mnt/
>
> [mirandar at shf102135 /]$ cd mnt
> [mirandar at shf102135 mnt]$ ls
> cdrom/  disk/  floppy/  smb/  windows/  zip/
> [mirandar at shf102135 mnt]$ chmod 1777 windows
> chmod: changing permissions of `windows': Read-only file system

If your Windows partition is NTFS I believe that Linux can only use it
as read-only so you can't change the permissions to
read/write/xecute.  Yes?

Wayne Bow
Network Administrator
St Francis School                   (808) 988.4111 ext 107
"Quality education in a spirit of JOY"