[luau] Hawaii Wi-Fi

Dean Fujioka surfdean at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Mar 31 18:55:56 PST 2002

> Assign each gateway the same IP and network (say 10.0.0.1/8) and have the
> client keep thier IP as they move from gateway to gateway.  I think you
> would have to assign IP statically, because you would need the same DHCP
> table on each gateway to keep track of which IPs are avail and which are
> taken.  So my client's IP is 10.0.0.2/8 when I am in range of "gateway A"
> and stays the same when I move into range of "gateway B".  Both gateways
> are 10.0.0.1/8.  There will be some point at which both gateways are in
> range and might respond, but that shouldn't be a problem?

There is a problem. If I remember correctly, it has to do with the signal
strength and which way the signal will go, ultimately leading to data loss.

> Need to test this.  Plug two systems into a hub ("gateway A" and "client
> A").  Have "gateway A" acting as the router to the world.  Then
> connect "gateway B" to the hub with the same IP as "gateway A" and see how
> things work.  finially unplug "gateway A" and everything should keep right
> on working.  So what does everyone think?

I think there are inherent problems with having duplicate IP's on a network.
You can try this with devices other than AP's, but I believe your results
will be as baffling.  Sometimes it will work flawlessly, then you will lose
your connection for no reason(other than duplicate IP's).  My winolose
machine will not connect to a network with a pre-existing IP address.

> The real problem is how to dynamically assign IPs to clients?  What if you
> put the DHCP server behind the gateways and did port forwarding from all
> the gateways to the DHCP server?  Then you would just have one DHCP server
> assigning IPs.

This sounds good, but the above stuff must work first..

Of course, I may have a screw loose on this one, but I hope others will step
in with more valid test cases.

dean