[luau] Hawaii Wi-Fi

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Sat Mar 30 14:42:05 PST 2002

This sounds kinda cool.  I could be interested.  I was reading their
NoCatAuth White Paper (http://nocat.net/nocatrfc.txt) and thinking about
the problem they discuss at the bottom for roaming.  Each site is a gateway
and when you leave teh range of a site and enter another site's range you
need a new IP and gateway, etc.  They propose a way to deal with this.

I was thinking of another way to deal with this and wanted some input.
Just an idea:

Assign each gateway the same IP and network (say 10.0.0.1/8) and have the
client keep thier IP as they move from gateway to gateway.  I think you
would have to assign IP statically, because you would need the same DHCP
table on each gateway to keep track of which IPs are avail and which are
taken.  So my client's IP is 10.0.0.2/8 when I am in range of "gateway A"
and stays the same when I move into range of "gateway B".  Both gateways
are 10.0.0.1/8.  There will be some point at which both gateways are in
range and might respond, but that shouldn't be a problem?

Need to test this.  Plug two systems into a hub ("gateway A" and "client
A").  Have "gateway A" acting as the router to the world.  Then
connect "gateway B" to the hub with the same IP as "gateway A" and see how
things work.  finially unplug "gateway A" and everything should keep right
on working.  So what does everyone think?

The real problem is how to dynamically assign IPs to clients?  What if you
put the DHCP server behind the gateways and did port forwarding from all
the gateways to the DHCP server?  Then you would just have one DHCP server
assigning IPs.

anyway just playing around,  what does everyone else think?

Dusty