[luau] firewall question

Steve Anderson andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sat Mar 30 14:25:02 PST 2002

> My problem - I need to modify our firewall, which I tried to do, but it
> doesn't seem to allow our remote user to pass through our firewall.

Well, let's get some information. When asking for help on a mailing
list, it is best to provide basic information up front.

Are you running a full distribution or a distribution on a floppy like
the Linux Router Project?

Some distributions have firewall tools, but these usually are not robust
enough to meet the demands of a business.

Which version and distribution of Linux are you running? To determine
this try the command:

cat /etc/issue

Also enter the command:

uname -a

There are two types of firewall rules depending on the age of your
installation.
As root try the commands:

which ipchains

which iptables

Two How-Tos:
http://www.linuxguruz.org/iptables/howto/iptables-HOWTO.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

Does either of these commands return anything:

ipchains -L
iptables -L

Hopefully one on these commands will list your firewall rules from
memory. The firewall rules are usually established from a script and can
be modified with single commands or the script can be modified and ran.

Some basic questions that you need answers for before changing your
firewall rules:

Which port(s) need to be opened for the remote user? What is the service
that the remote user is accessing? Does the service use TCP or UDP, or
both?  Does the service use a specific port or a random high
unprivileged port? Does the remote user have a static IP?

Of course there is always MonMotha's IPTables Firewall found at:

http://monmotha.mplug.org/firewall/index.php

Steve A.